I would like to be known as an intelligent woman, a courageous woman, a loving woman, a woman who teaches by being.
— Maya Angelou (via sorakeem)
Twelve Steps to Creating a Rape Culture
- Step 1: Tell girls they exist solely for male pleasure.
- Step 2: Tell boys that the more sex they have and girls they exploit, the more masculine they are.
- Step 3: Tell girls they can't actually have sex before marriage or they are unpure, unloveable, and equatable to a chewed-up wad of gum.
- Step 4: Tell boys that they cannot control or make choices about their own sexual urges.
- Step 5: Never mention or give accurate information about consent.
- Step 6: Never mention or give accurate information about contraception.
- Step 7: Call sexually active girls "sluts".
- Step 8: Call sexually active boys "players".
- Step 9: Blame girls for getting pregnant or infected with an STI.
- Step 10: Blame girls when they get raped.
- Step 11: Remind boys that they aren't fully responsible for their actions.
- Step 12: Deny rape culture exists.
Ah, el vicio de las palabras… Una vez escapadas de la boca no
— Fragmento de Afrodita: Cuentos, recetas y otros afrodisíacos de Isabel Allende. (via poesia-en-la-lengua)
Recovery takes a lot of time, effort, and planning; but staying sick takes your whole life.
— (via idlegrrl)